One way to simply and easily build rapport within your team is to consider using a fun or creative check-in or icebreaker at the start of your team meetings. Go around and hear everyone's answers or if you have a large group, have people pair up and tell each other the answer to a check-in question and then have a few people share with the larger group. This can be a quick simple way to get people talking.
Here are some of my favorite check-in questions - some silly, some serious – choose the question that’s right for the mood of the group and what’s been going on with the team lately. Or take turns asking a different person to come up with or choose a check-in question each meeting.
- If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
- If you were a vending machine, what would you dispense and why?
- Share a joy and a concern (Or a crappy and a happy)
- If your mood today was the weather, what would the weather be?
- If you could have any super power, what would it be?
- If you could spend one day in someone else’s life, who would it be?
- If you could describe your mood in one color, what would it be and why?
- If your life was a movie, what would it be called?
- Give one word to express your mood today.
- Rose (a bright spot), bud (something that has potential), and thorn (a pain point).
- What one thing that you’re proud of?
Additional Check-in Question Resources
Check-in Questions (My favorite list)